- pro-eugenic - important if genetic enhancement technologies prove practical but are banned in the United States and Europe. Many transhumanists would undoubtedly want their children to benefit from such technologies.
- Favors high IQ immigrants- would make it easier for Transhumanists to obtain permission to work in Singapore.
- English speaking.
- Rich - 15.5 % of Singaporean households have net worths over $1 million.
- Intelligent, results oriented government – Singapore is unlikely to ban technologies for scientifically illiterate reasons.
- Militarily safe – faces no serious external military threat and is unlikely to use any of the technologies that Transhumanists might give them to initiate aggression.
- No class warfare. Government won’t expropriate the wealth of Transhumanists. Rich singularity supporters would feel safe living in Singapore.
- Multiracial – Transhumanists of different faiths and ethnicities would feel comfortable in Singapore.
- Business-friendly political environment that’s likely to persist.
- Unlike in the U.S., Western Europe or Japan, Singapore faces no looming fiscal crisis that threatens the country’s long-term economic prospects.
Ten reasons why Singapore could make an excellent location for the transhumanist community
July 13, 2011